Sunday, May 10, 2009

this sucks

there has been a few things upsetting me recently, but one that has really gotten to me is the current situation with my brother. now, I'm not one of those people that is a super go-getter, but i like to have a level of normalcy. My brother is 11 years old. in a few months he'll be in middle school. My brother has yet to learn how to ride a bike, I'm not sure if he knows how to tie his shoes, he doesn't know how to throw a baseball. Its not that he hasn't been taught any of this, he has no interest to learn it. He has no push to do it. Its times like this that i wished that i still lived at home so i could try and push him to do these things. i mean, by middle school, i was riding my bike everyday and skateboarding. I played baseball and basketball. my life revolved around physical activity. I would be outside from sunrise to sunset. and if i didn't want to be outside, my mom would make me.
This whole thing really makes me sad. It also just proves that my mom has changed significantly in raising a child since i was young. When i tried to get him to throw a baseball or ride a bike, i am told by his parents that he doesn't want to do it. all he does is play video games...and that's it. i mean, he rings hand bells in church, but past that he doesn't anything.
The worst part is that i work with kids that are around his age and these kids struck me as being 4-5 years older in maturity than my brother. My brother is 11 and strikes me as being at the maturity level of a 1st or 2nd grader. and what is worse than that is that my mom sees absolutely nothing wrong with it. My mom criticizes me for being a little overweight or chewing with my mouth open, but the one thing that i can say is that my social skills at his age were much more adequate. and i did all possible active things i could and i still do. if someone said, "mike, lets go shoot hoops or play baseball or football or go bike riding," i would be down in a second. hell, I've never played hockey in my life, but if it was suggested, i would go out and buy a stick in a second. and i would have done the same thing when i was 11.
i know you, the reader, probably don't care about this as much as i do, but it has honestly made me super sad. even some of my friends who aren't the most athletically inclined are fairly knowledgeable about sports...it just makes me sad and i wish that there was more that i could do.

No comments: